Humming hemp protein powder can be purchased using EBT. EBT benefits are used to purchase food products, which our hemp protein powder is considered. Other brands of hemp protein powder may be sold as a supplement, which would not qualify.
How would you like to build muscle or lose weight? Wouldn’t it be nice to fit into your swimsuit next summer?
Yes, hemp protein powder can help you improve your health and waistline. I’d like to think “a scoop of hemp protein powder a day, keeps the desk job body away!”
Luckily for you, I’m going to show you the amazing benefits of hemp. Along with diet and exercise, you’ll be ready to hit up Cabo by spring break. Please, refrain from sending us your beach photos.
Let’s take a look, shall we?
Health benefits of hemp protein powder
Hemp is an exceptional plant, providing not only industrial and medicinal applications but also a high-quality source of calories. The reason for this is hemp’s amazing nutritional profile:
- Hemp has a near-perfect omega-6 to omega-3 ratio, making it anti-inflammatory while packing other vital trace nutrients.
- Hemp seeds have a high amount of protein – around 25% of their total calories – and it’s highly bio-available and easily digestible, which means your muscles can use it more easily than other types of protein powder.
- Full of the amino acid arginine, hemp is heart-healthy. Arginine creates nitric oxide in the blood, which relaxes your vessels, leading to better circulation and lower blood pressure.
- There are only a few complete proteins in the plant kingdom, and hemp is one of them. This means that for vegans and vegetarians, you can get your complete amino acid profile from only eating hemp; typically you would need to add in other foods or supplements to get them all.
- Hemp-derived gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) has been shown to reduce symptoms of PMS by interfering with the activity of the hormone prolactin which causes the majority of menstrual discomfort.
- Protein powder in general, when added to your diet, helps slow digestion and the release of glucose into your blood. This helps keep your insulin low, reducing inflammation and helping you lose weight. The satiation effect of the combination of fat, fiber, and protein in hemp is also great for weight loss.
Protein powder is an easy, accessible way to increase the amount of protein you get in your diet, and hemp is one of the best choices for vegans, vegetarians, or omnivores alike.
What other things can you buy with EBT?
Because EBT benefits are used to improve access to nutritious products, almost anything classified as food is eligible. Everything from fruits and vegetables to meat, eggs, dairy, and pre-packaged foods like granola bars or snacks are purchasable with EBT.
Though some drinks like soda or alcohol might be restricted, for the most part, drinks are purchasable with EBT as well. Additionally, you can buy seeds and in some cases, plants for gardening if they will provide food. Some farmer’s markets accept EBT transactions further increasing your access to healthy, natural foods.
Can you buy supplements with EBT?
Certain types of protein powders are both supplements and foods:
- Whey protein is the easiest to find and one of the most nutritious types of protein powder, next to hemp. It’s made from the liquid protein created during the cheese-making process and it’s packed with nutrition.
- Vegetarian protein powders like soy, rice, or pea isolates are also considered food products and are eligible for EBT.
For the most part, supplements are not EBT eligible. This includes nitric oxide, branch-chain amino acids, pre-workouts, vitamins, minerals, and other non-nutritive, non-food items. Essentially if you couldn’t include it as part of a meal and not get weird stares from your dinner guests, it’s not eligible. This usually also extends to pre-made protein shakes, though weight-loss shakes like Slimfast might be purchasable with EBT.
What makes a protein powder eligible or not for EBT?
Because the focus of the EBT/SNAP program is to provide as much nutrition to families as possible, the primary distinction is whether the protein powder counts as a food.
Hemp, egg, soy, pea, and whey protein powder are all directly made from a natural animal or plant product and the only processing they undergo is to make the protein more accessible. Highly processed protein powders with lots of additives are generally not considered a food item, and wouldn’t work for EBT purposes. You can usually distinguish these at the store because they’re highly flashy and have some weird, branded names like “Ultra Power Muscle Mix” or something similarly silly.
The easiest way to determine if the protein powder you want to purchase would be EBT eligible is to see if there’s a store brand version of it. For instance, if you go into Sam’s Club and there’s an 80-pound jug of protein powder, it’s probably considered a food item and SNAP eligible.
What other hemp products can you buy with EBT?
Nutritive hemp is usually sold as “hemp hearts” which are essentially hulled hemp seeds. They can be used in salads, added to smoothies, or just heated and enjoyed like quinoa or other seed-grains.
Hemp oil is extracted from the plant and used in cooking, like olive oil. Because of its nutty flavor, and incredible omega-3 profile, it’s a healthy cooking oil. You can also use it in dressings, as it’s light enough to not overpower your salad and whatever other flavors you use with it.
Hemp plants, seeds, and CBD extracts are not EBT eligible, and neither are hemp-derived skincare products.
What grocery stores accept EBT?
In the last 10 years, the amount of stores that accept SNAP through EBT has dramatically increased. For the most part, all major grocery chains accept EBT purchases, and so do many more specialized companies, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Aldi.
Some of the bigger companies that accept EBT are:
- Kroger and by extension, Ruler Foods
- County Market
- Dash Market
Other places you can use EBT
In addition to regular grocery chains, some larger, more widely accessible places accept EBT transactions, including:
- Amazon – you can purchase qualifying food items from Amazon for delivery and use EBT benefits.
- Walmart – many Walmarts have fresh grocery sections but those that don’t still accept EBT on pre-packaged items.
- Some mail grocery sites accept EBT, like Fresh Direct, though many do not currently.
- Though you need a membership to shop there, Sam’s Club accepts EBT and you can make your SNAP benefits stretch with their low prices and large-sized items.
- Target also accepts EBT for food items.
Expanding access to EBT use has improved the nutrition and health of so many people who rely on supplemental benefits to get by. Check with your local grocer to see if you can use your SNAP there as well if they’re not on this list.
Where can you buy Humming Hemp protein powder and other hemp products?
If you’re looking for quality hemp nutritive products, be it raw hemp hearts, hemp oil, protein powder, or delicious, ready-to-eat bars, Humming Hemp has you covered. Our products are available from our website direct to you.
Additionally, you’ll find our products stocked at:
- King Soopers
- Whole Foods
And more! You can use our locator tool to find the nearest purveyor of fine, delicious hemp products near you.
We offer a full line of hemp hearts, oil, bars, and of course, hemp protein powder. Minimal ingredients, quality sourcing, and the goodness of hemp all combine to make our products exceptionally nutritious and delicious.
Using your EBT to boost your health with hemp products
Hemp is an exceptionally healthy food, from the oil to the seeds and the protein powder derived from them. Not only is it a complete, vegetarian protein source, but it’s also extremely bio-available, good for your heart, digestion, and waistline.
As more grocery stores and other retailers accept EBT, you’ll find your shopping options have increased and your access to healthy foods like hemp hearts and protein have as well. Even if you’re not trying to lose weight or build muscle, additional protein in your diet – especially plant-based hemp protein – is great for your overall health.
Our Humming Hemp products are available in many nationwide retailers, as well as direct from our website and Amazon as well.
No matter how you try hemp foods, there’s never been a better time to introduce them to your weekly meal plan.